We had a great time at the 5k and things went smoothly…mostly. The weather was just about perfect and we were just 20 people short of doubling last years attendance, so we were very pleased! We are all excited about next year!
Skye and Starr—feeling relieved!
I hope to have a few more pics to share in a few days.
Saturday afternoon, I tagged along with a couple friends to a small art fair where their Afro-Brazilian drumming group had it’s first gig. It was a lot of fun, I loved their energy! It looked like they had a blast performing! Their smiles were worth the trip alone. If I had any sort of rhythm I would love to join them.
Today I enter all of the newly registered runners into the database, forward the race results, prepare the deposits, return the road blockades, create thank yous and mail prizes to the winners! Good times!
Before I get busy, here is one more picture that made me smile:
Sookie and friend “stretching” and preparing for the race
First things first! I had the pleasure of meeting and having a drink with Jenn of Juggling Life this afternoon as she landed in Fort Collins for a moment to visit her MVP on her way to Chicago! What a treat! I like her even more than I did before! I approve of my blog life crossing with my “real” life…it’s all good!! As an introvert, I am always worried, was I too introverted?! Did I carry my fair share of the conversation…did I speak English? Hmm…we’ll see.
I learned that road blockade signs are much larger than I anticipated and while it was generous of the traffic control company to give us a price break if we “do it ourselves” remind me next year that we need a REALLY big truck and good quality tie downs!! And possibly some men to help us. We felt mighty puny this afternoon! But we got it done!
Tomorrow is the date of the 5k. We hope that we are ready. I keep going over the lists in my head, again and again. We are ahead of last years registrations, so we are hopeful that people are coming tomorrow and that things go off without a hitch…or at least without a MAJOR hitch! Last year Starr forgot to mark the route. A winding, complicated, “needs to stay within the city block” route. Minutes before the race was to start, she called me “do you have a map of the route?” I was still at home waiting for her father to come give me a ride. “Shit. Yes, but I don’t have a way of getting it to you”…so I texted her the details. “Turn right on so and so, then left on…etc.” It was ridiculous! She and a group of girls hopped in a truck and started marking the route. Despite (or because) of the frantic-ness of the moment they had a memorable blast jumping in and out of the back of the truck placing signs and cones along the route.
They delayed the race as long as they could, but the first couple of finishers beat Starr and crew to the finish line. They didn’t complain and thought it was funny, so we SMILE! But we won’t be repeating that mistake!
Here are a couple pics from last year’s cold and rainy, but wonderful event…pics from tomorrow hopefully coming soon!
Finally, here is a song that I just heard for the first time tonight that would totally be on my playlist if I were running the race tomorrow…but I’m not…because I am NEEDED behind the scenes. Needed I tell you!!
I don’t know if it’s the fever that I’ve been running or what, but suddenly I can’t get enough of Fanfarlo.
I’ve posted a couple of their songs previously, but I don’t think I ever said “I flippin’ love these guys (and girl) they make me really happy for some reason!” I stumbled across them in early 2007 when I was captured by a song that they had on their website. I couldn’t download it, I couldn’t find where to buy it so I visited the site repeatedly to listen. They made me smile.
I can’t find the original song that so infatuated me back then, but I do have some that I can share:
* I actually went to the store today. Sam’s Club AND the grocery store!! This is big! I’ve been sick for over two weeks now. My voice is still gone, but I really think I am getting better.
* Starr says that I keep saying that I’m getting better, but from her perspective it sounds just like hope. “I hope I’m getting better!”
* I’ve had this song in my head for the last four days. I’m not singing it, but it is playing in the background of my day-to-day. When I wake up, when I do the dishes, when brushing my teeth. It doesn’t make much sense…
* Helping Starr and Skye with the 5k has stirred up the pain of losing Sunny. I feel like I am on the verge of tears constantly. Succumbing often. Despite my weepiness, we are excited for the race…but are we ready?! I keep thinking of things we need to remember. It might help if I started writing things down!
* I love the smell of freshly laundered sheets and briefly considered washing them every day this afternoon. That’s not very green of me is it? Green or not, I am just too lazy for that!
* My parents spent the night here last night on their way home from California. Dad is done with the proton bombardment of his prostate cancer, they have been in California since May. I asked when they will scan him to see if the treatment worked. The answer was “they aren’t”, in 3 months he will get blood work done to check his PSA levels. Until then they are just assuming that this has fixed things. I am not sure I like that attitude.
* I randomly thought of this photo earlier tonight. Starr and Sunny were bored…they talked poor Tony into coming over. He didn’t have a chance! It’s a good thing that he was a good sport. They all made lasting memories that night!! I just wish I could find a better photo:
Starr, Tony and Sunny
* I looked at the calendar three times while creating this post to make sure that today was really Wednesday. Yes, I’ve been that disconnected!
We are less than a week from Starr and Skye’s 2nd big fundraising 5k event. There are tons of last minute details to attend to and they are both starting classes this week! I anticipate that I will be busy in my supporting role. I am excited for them and keep hoping that we aren’t forgetting anything!!
I’ve pulled a few pictures from the big Friends Vacation 2009 photo albums to share today–it was so hard to pick just a few!!:
I celebrated my 45th birthday yesterday uncomfortable and coughing. I don’t know why, but I have never had really good birthdays, but usually they are just a little boring. I would pay for boring this week! Boring sounds good.
Since Starr was busy with sorority stuff all day yesterday, she brought us take out tonight for my birthday! It isn’t as nice as going out, but I am not up to that anyway. Fresh fried calamari with Italian aioli, warm bread with basil butter and chicken parmigiana. Yum. Thanks sweetie!
We have been busy putting the final details into place and taking registrations for Starr and Skye’s 2nd annual 5k run. They started a charitable foundation in Sunny’s memory about 18 months ago and are raising money for children’s charities. This year the proceeds will be split between Children’s Safe Drinking Water and Teach For America. There are so many charities out there that Sunny would have loved and supported and which fit her ideals, it is hard to choose. Eventually, inspired by the movie WarDance, Starr would like to see the money going to and making a difference in music education in impoverished communities. Music is so important to young minds and music was a big part of Sunny, Starr and Skye’s lives.
It looks like we are on track for a bigger turn out than last year. *crosses fingers* I hope it all works out! Things aren’t as frantic or as urgent as they were last year. I am hoping that we just learned from our experiences last year, and aren’t forgetting something big!
I wanted to share this video today just because it made me smile and feel a fraction better for a moment this afternoon:
500 Days of Summer Dance Sequence
Hall and Oates “You Make My Dreams”
Another Facebook Meme that’s circling around my friends list this week:
Answer True or False
Q: Kissed someone on your friends list? True
Q: Held a snake? True
Q: Been suspended from school? True
Q: Sang karaoke? False
Q: Done something you told yourself you wouldn’t do? True
Q: Laughed until you started crying? True
Q: Caught a snowflake on your tongue? True
Q: Kissed in the rain? False
Q: Sang in the shower? True
Q: Sat on a roof top? True
Q: Been pushed into a pool with all your clothes on? False (if it had said “lake” the answer would be True)
Q: Broken a bone? False
Q: Shaved your head? False
Q: Played a prank on someone? True
Q: Shot a gun? True
Q: Donated Blood? True
1. You hung out with? Starr
2. You texted? DJ
3. Person you were in a car with? Starr
4. Went to the movies with? Starr
5. Person you went to shop with? Starr
6. You talked on the phone? Starr
1. Sun or moon? Sun
2. Winter or Fall? Fall
3. Left or Right? Left
4. Sunny or rainy? Sunny
5. Where do you live? Colorado
7. Are there 1 or 2 people who you can always trust and rely on? Yes
8. Do you want to get married? Yeah
9. Do you twirl your spaghetti or cut it? Cut it
10. What time is it? 7:09 pm
11. Are you afraid of commitment? No
13. Do you cook? Yes
14. Current mood? Foggy
IN THE LAST 48 HOURS HAVE YOU…
1. Kissed someone? No
2. Sang? No
3. Listened to music? Yes
4. Danced Crazy? No
5. Cried? Yes
6. Liked someone you couldn’t have? No
1. Who was your first roommate? Ruth
2. What was your first job? McDonalds
3. When did you go to your first funeral and viewing? 1979
4. Who was your first grade teacher? Mrs. Ackerman
5. Where did you go on your first ride on an airplane? I don’t know
6. When you snuck out of your house for the first time? Never
7. Where was your first sleepover? I don’t remember
8. Who is the first person you call when you have a bad day? Starr
9. Whose wedding were you in the first time you were a Bridesmaid/Groomsman? Ann’s
10. What’s the first thing you did when you got up this morning? Showered
11. What was the first concert you went to? I have no idea
12. First tattoo or piercing? Ears, no tattoos, no other piercings…yet.
13. First Kiss? Mitch
14. Video system you owned? Like gaming? Never had one.
15. Name of first pet owned? Suzy
Five names you go by:
Kelly, Mom, Mommy, Kel, Hey You
Three things you are wearing right now:
Two things you did last night:
1. Played “Build-a-Lot” on the computer
2. Waited up for Starr to bring me some more medicine
Five things you ate today:
1. Pizza (Lunch)
2. Pizza (Dinner)
3. I don’t want to hear it, I’m still sick and not cooking!! I hate it!!
Three things you are going to do tomorrow:
1. Hopefully feel much better!!
2. Face 45 with a smile
3. Try to enjoy by birthday
Two longest car rides:
1. Family vacation(s) with my folks?
2. With Starr, Fort Collins to Phoenix and back.
Three Favorite beverages:
1. Diet Coke, but I’m quitting!
3. Sweet Tea (Beer would be next)
I thought I had some catching up to do last week! I didn’t count on getting sick before really getting anything done!
The house is a mess, my mood is low, I missed out on one of my favorite community celebrations this weekend. Yeah, I’m pouting….but I know that I will catch up, that furniture will get dusted, dishes washed, laundry cleaned, blogs will be read, and that this cold WILL go away.
Knowing this is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment.
We did finally get the last of the big stuff moved into Starr’s apartment the other day and she has spent a few nights over there, leaving me home alone and sick…hmm?! What?! She doesn’t want to spend time with a grumpy, sniffling, feverish, constant cougher? I don’ t blame her! I tease! Even though she has slept away from home, she has been hanging out keeping me company, helping me out, watching old movies with me and bringing us some take out.
Surprisingly, there is not much to blog about when you’ve done nothing but lay low!
Here is a “full of sunshine” song that I found the other day. It doesn’t quite match my life/mood at the moment, but possibly soon!
Name? Kelly. Mysterious? Not really. Passionate? Yes. Lazy? Sometimes. Outgoing? Not a bit. Trusting? Mmhmm. Artistic? On good days. Crazy? Could be. Trustworthy? Absolutely. Graceful? I wish. Sarcastic? Often. Deserving? You bet. Forgiving? Yes. Religious? No. Spiritual? Yes. Uncertain? At times. Confused? Sure. Distracted? Daily. Silly? Yeah. Talkative? Not. Punctual? To a fault. Breakable? Quite.
Robb Wolf's 30 Day Total Transformation is the ultimate "getting started" guide to the Paleo diet. Includes interactive information on nutrition, metabolism, exercise, a meal plan, shopping list, and more.
This is not a music blog. While it is my desire to share free and legal music here (music is a part of me), it is not my goal to critique this music.
If I have posted music, it is because I like it, and it moves me at the moment. It might match my mood, it could be on repeat, or mirror the sentiment of my post. It might be quite random, and just what I wish to share.
*Older links may not always work, as promotional MP3s, in particular, are known to disappear without warning.
Artists and labels: if I have erred and posted a song inappropriately, let me know, and I will remove it.
To download a song: on a PC, right click the link and choose "save link as"
Support the artists by buying their music!!
This and That
Elements in in header designed by: Pam at Pam Lefores Designs. They are part of the "Odds 'n Ends 38" kit. Love them!